Thursday, March 3, 2022

Week Eight: Mathematics & fibre arts, fashion arts and culinary arts

My capstone project is going to be an exploration of factors that help keep girls engaged in mathematics through high school, so this week’s theme of challenging binaries and gender expectations resonated with me. I appreciated the acknowledgement in the introduction that men may be excluded from traditionally feminine endeavours, just as women can be excluded from traditionally masculine endeavours. My preliminary research and literature review indicates that women are underrepresented in STEM fields, especially computer science and engineering. Gendered stereotypes and expectations around STEM fields seem to play a significant role, but I wonder about the gendered stereotypes and expectations around “nurturing” fields like nursing and teaching. Men are very much underrepresented in those fields, and I wonder how many men rule out certain careers simply because they are considered feminine?

The introduction also mentioned social class stereotypes. My husband is a journeyman mechanic so the idea that trades people are lower class and/or unintelligent is familiar and annoying. While the specific math concepts encountered may not be extremely complex, there is an incredible amount of mathematical thinking and problem-solving involved in the trades. And yet, as the introduction suggests, the stigma persists and even pervades the school system. Students often view PreCalculus as “smart kid math” and Workplace math as “dumb kid math” despite its potential to be a really interesting and valuable course. But, I fear I digress…

On to the activity! I chose to do the origami because it is something that I am familiar with and enjoy doing. When working weekends in university I used to make little origami animals from post-it notes and hide them around my boss's office. I even made him a little zoo in an empty fruit tray container one time. 


The Miura-Ori pattern here is a relatively simple series of folds resulting in tessellations of parallelograms. It reminded me a little bit of a “magic ball” or “dragon’s egg” which is a slightly more complex pattern involving tessellations. 

 

 

 

 





 

 

 

 

 

In Quilts as Mathematical Objects, Gerda de Vries spent a significant portion of her presentation discussing tessellations, their properties, and their appearance in the art of quilting. The discussion of aperiodic tiling was quite interesting. In addition to tessellations, she also played with permutations and algorithmic design in her quilting. It was fascinating how many different patterns she could make with right isosceles triangles, three coloured fabrics, a bit of asymmetry, and an arbitrary set of rules for combining her triangles. 

 

 

It reminded me of the creativity that  arises from the tension between freedom and constraints which we explored through poetry last week. She talked about blindly following her rules then being surprised and delighted by the final product, which seems similar to the way PH4 poems unfold. Mathematical transformations, such as translations and reflections, and classifications of patterns were also analyzed using the context of quilting.

 

 

 

In the discussion of quilt design I thought there was a missed opportunity to talk about ratios and proportions as many patterns involved similar geometric shapes in different sizes. Ratios and proportions are also an important part of food preparation which is utilized in Hawksley’s article. She used coloured, layered beverages as a means of experiencing mathematics through the senses of sight and taste. Further claiming that “unlike most examples of food-based mathematical art, where the math is purely visual with no effect on the actual flavor and experience consuming the food, the math in our beverages is conveyed entirely by the ingredients and flavor” (p. 519). Ratios, proportions, and fractions can be explored by calculating the relative amounts of sugar or flavouring in each layer then comparing the differences in flavour when tasted. Hawksley also discusses the potential to use layered beverages to investigate arithmetic sequences, but this honestly feels like a stretch to me.

 

 

 

I teach the senior grades and this activity seems like it would be most appropriate for a math 8 class, but I could possibly see using it as a review activity in upper grades. Up to this point, I have only taught PreCalculus or Calculus courses and have been finding it difficult to apply much of what we have been learning to those courses. With the fairly specific yet assorted content to be covered, this has been a fairly consistent challenge throughout the program and my own investigations into more authentic learning activities. However, I am trying to remain open minded and make strong attempts to think of ways I could adapt the material. I need to keep reading Maria's blog for more "wonky math" ideas!

 


I wonder if this beverage activity could be adapted to look at rates of change or gradients if the layers were similar enough to slightly mix at the interface and/or have several layers? Another possibility is having students design quilt blocks, or copy an existing pattern, using mathematical functions in Desmos. Then they could use appropriate transformations to complete a full quilt design.

 

7 comments:

  1. Your discussion around feminine and masculine careers is interesting. There's so much to unpack there, it could be an entire (neverending) discussion post on it's own. To try to keep it short (no guarantees), I'll discuss one point. 25% of BCTF's membership is male (not sure about ALL teachers, but I imagine it's similar) - I believe men generally teach older grades - the younger the grade, the less likely the teacher will be male. That being said, the kindergarten teacher at my school is male. I'm curious how many other schools have male kindergarten teachers. (I've also been wondering recently if teaching would be a more respected profession if there were more males...but that's an aside.) Anyways, this concept really just brings us back to the many discussions about narrow perspectives and binaries. In regards to careers, I think representation is one of the key factors. Sharing stories from the male kindergarten teacher or the female engineer might be just the little bit of inspiration a student needs. (Ok last comment on this.) Have you heard the stats about asking little kids to draw/imagine certain professionals? Unfortunately, I can't remember which book/podcast I heard them, but I assure you it was a reputable source. I can't remember the exact stats, but they numbers were staggering. Here's an example with my best estimate for numbers: If you ask a 6 year old to draw a scientist, 100% of boys will draw a male scientist but only 50% of girls will draw a female scientist.

    The dragon's egg is very cool and I'm definitely going to try making one.

    "the tension between freedom and constraints" This is a fascinating concept in math, so please forgive me for going on another tangent. Math has this set of 'rules' that generally cannot be broken. We tell students there's lots of ways to solve a problem, do what works for you (freedom)...but there is still this unspoken, underlying set of rules that cannot be broken (constraints). (I keep finding myself coming to the grid! Swing in and out of the grid however you want, but don't forget the grid is still there for a reason. The grid is like a guide, a path that shows you where to go, and maybe the easiest way to get there, but it's okay to step off the path and smell a few flowers along the way.) Back to math - what can we/students learn by breaking the rules? If we purposely break the rules, will it help us understand why they are there to begin with? Where does creativity come in to play? This reminds me of those lessons that discuss examples AND non-examples. I wonder what different embodied or visual examples and non-examples would look like - would it be easier to distinguish between the two?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found an example of the drawing a scientist activity. Looking now, it seems to have been done on a smaller scale by many groups.
      https://www.nsta.org/draw-scientist

      Delete
    2. I enjoyed and appreciated your tangential thinking. My school is a K-12 school but would follow the usual teacher demographics you cited. The teaching staff are mostly female teachers and the male teachers are almost all in the high school. Gender differences and bias are tricky to probe since they are so ingrained in our society and culture. It is almost like trying to look at a pair of glasses while wearing them?

      I like your thoughts on the role of freedom and constraints in problem-solving. We can ask what rules are mathematical "laws" and what rules are merely guidelines or conventions? If we want to integrate art into this idea we can quote Picasso who supposedly said "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist". I am reminded of how uncomfortable students are when I show examples algebra problems and leave the variable to the right of the equal sign or switch the left and right sides of an equation.

      Delete
  2. Danielle, I am glad you are pursuing this topic for your capstone. As you know I have my own personal connection to women in STEM careers. You had my mind going on the reasons why men are underrepresented in elementary schools. What sort of barriers do men face? Charli-Rae, I wonder how your colleague manages the additional challenges he must face as a a male kindergarten teacher. I know I have some crazy stories as a female engineering technologist.
    One more digression... I wonder at another binary. How much is it that math is the measure of "smart" kids and "dumb" kids as opposed to PE, English or Art?
    Danielle I thoroughly enjoyed looking at your origami, especially the magic ball. It is so cool to think that is made from flat sheets of paper.
    Your connection to the tension between freedom and constraints is a great reminder about the need for both in the pursuit of creativity.
    Thanks for sharing the challenges of applying our course work with teaching Calculus! My guess is this is an area that few have tackled because it is a significant challenge. I have enjoyed seeing your creativity and passion for what you do. I hope you find that sweet spot between the freedom and constraints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you raise a great question asking if math is the measure of a student's "smartness". In my experience, the students, and some parents, do seem to equate mathematics achievement with intelligence more than they do with other subjects. I would be interesting to ask some of them why that is the case. I also wonder if they are the same people who are more resistant to novel approaches in mathematics education because it isn't "real" math? Food for thought...

    I also appreciate the words of encouragement. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The introduction this week also intrigued me. Sharing your curiosity with regard to “nurturing” fields, reminded me of the first time I had a male nurse. I was raised with those gender stereotypes firmly in place, I was therefore pleasantly surprised at the kind care I received from my nurse and how quickly I was able to throw away those stereo types from my mind. Thinking back to my upbringing, I learned a lot of “feminine” skills from my dad, who in turn encouraged me to excel in “traditionally masculine” skills.

    I too am familiar with the pervasive “feelings” surrounding trades, etc; I hope the next round of teachers helps in breaking these stereo types further.

    Danielle, your origami skills are impressive!! the origami ball blows my mind! How interesting that you could create folds that form into a sphere.
    I am mesmerized by the patterns created with the “right isosceles triangles” patterns! The questions I have are: would these patterns and optical illusions be as fascinating in any other colour? would they seem to jump off the page as much if they were created with different shapes? I’m intrigued that you found connection between the poetry and this weeks’ quilting, “freedom and constraints”, how curious!
    I use "ratio" in my daily vocabulary and feel like I understand the concept, especially when it comes to mixing drinks, or my family chili recipe that honestly has no measurements involved! If we had learned about ratios and the density of different liquids (as pictured in this paper/blog) while I was learning ratios in school, I feel the concept may have stuck a bit better than whats left in my brain today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle, I’m glad you’re choosing to explore issues relating to girls and mathematics for your project. I do enjoy your digressions and the ways in which they’ve generated a lively group discussion, and I encourage you to continue doing this.
    I find your connection between Gerda de Vries blindly following her own rules and the ways PH4 poems unfold useful, as well as links to tessellations, ratios, proportions, and sequences in food-making.
    I hope you keep doing this amazing work and get as wonky as necessary, in order to find just the right amount of permutation! My niece loves Yoda and I’m forever sending her Yoda inspirations like this one: “The greater the teacher, failure is”! Just a matter of switching what we understand as success!

    ReplyDelete