Saturday, March 12, 2022

Week Nine: Mathematics & traditional and contemporary practices of making and doing


I chose to do the rope making activity and scavenged some dead grass from areas where the snow has melted off the hill behind my house. Lacking helpers, I chose to do the simple version where the grass was twisted into strands then wrapped back on itself in the opposite direction.

My z-twisted rope resembled a double-helix and was somewhat cylindrical. It was interesting to see the differences in process and product for multi-stranded braiding and rope making when watching the videos. The ropes were all cylindrical helices and each strand could be followed down the rope without going over or under another strand. In contrast, braids were flat and the alternating pattern of strands going over and under each other gave a more woven appearance.

 

 

 

I noticed that the grass still held the smell of summer despite having been dried and frozen for months. When making the grass rope I noticed a pattern of making three twists then wrapping the strand. The combination of twisting and the smell reminded me of when my sisters were young and used to make braided daisy chains and purple clover crowns in the summer. I also used to make hemp bracelets and the process was similar to the net making.

 

 

 

 

 

It was interesting to see such a similar perspective on the value of traditional knowledge and knowledge keepers from people in such different cultures. The videos showed Scandinavians (Closed by Hand), North Americans (Wildfibres), and South Americans (Weaving the Bridge at Q’eswachaka) all expressing the need to learn traditional methods from those who came before us. 


This quote from Undrum grabbed my attention, “There was no other way to learn. I had to learn from someone who knew how” (Ensby, 2016, 6:39). My husband's parents immigrated from Italy in the 1960s and they have a similar respect for traditional knowledge, including braiding garlic and onions for storage through the winter. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Astrom and Astrom (2021) article described the historical context and properties of rope. The mathematical description of rope has a lot of potential for a classroom, especially a physics class (which is just logic and applied mathematics in many ways). There could be discussions of the mathematical modelling used to describe the appearance of rope, or relate the diameter of the rope to the number of strands and their diameter. The authors also give equations used to approximate these values which could lead to a discussion of the assumptions made to create the models and equations. Their description of physical properties including linear density could also be used in a calculus course. When watching the video, "Weaving the bridge" I wondered how heavy the ropes would be and how much the final bridge weighed. The equations provided by Astrom and Astrom could be used to estimate the weight which could be compared to the weight of a more traditional steel construction. The woven bridge would also be a great exercise in all three areas of the Core Competencies. Communication, problem-solving, collaboration, positive cultural identity, and more.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Danielle,
    You've shared so many interesting ideas. Thank you for sharing that the rope structures are cylindrical while the braid structures are flat. I didn't notice that. I'm curious now if a braid could be adjusted to form a cylindrical shape instead, while still keeping the properties of being a braid - that's something I might have to play around with.

    Clover crowns! I used dandelions for my crowns. It's amazing how the senses can bring back memories. This serves as another reminder to try to incorporate all ways of learning into our lessons. The more senses that are involved, the more memorable an experience might be! (Though I probably would never do it, I'm imagining an exploration of doubling. When doubling, numbers get large quickly. If you doubled an ingredient in a recipe, such as salt, we could experience the dramatic taste different each time.)

    That's an interesting connection to storing onions and garlic. Why are they braided for the winter? Is it simply a smart and convenient way to store them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother declared dandelions off-limits after we permanently stained many, MANY clothing items with dandelion milk. My mother-in-law says the garlic and onions are braided so they can easily be hung to dry and air can circulate around them. If they are picked then just stored on a shelf before drying they will start to rot at the point of contact.

      There might be a way to make braids cylindrical because the dancing braid video created a "dress". The dance also reminded me of a traditional maypole dance that decorates a cylindrical pole. Maybe you need a core to braid around, but the braid itself is still flat?

      Delete
    2. Ha Ha! Your mother is smart. Wow that makes total sense about the onion and garlic. It never fails to amaze me what I learn from everyone in this program.

      Right! I forgot about the dancing braid. I also connected it to the maypole dance...I think you're on to something though. The braid itself might be flat while creating a hollow cylinder. What would happen if we used a tiny core for a braid, pulled the core out at the end, and then stretched the braid?

      Delete
  2. Thanks Danielle,
    It looks like you were able to get a great twist on your rope. I was imagining the smell that the grass would have been giving off. I agree with Charli-Rae that including more of the senses in a learning activity can make things more memorable. Music is another memory trigger for me. I can listen to a song and it will bring back memories I have connected to that piece of music.
    Your thoughts on physics being applied math is a thought that has come up for me too. Thinking about the many applications of where ropes are used, rope strength and properties are so important. Engineering seems to be concerned with the balance between using just enough materials and safety. Thinking about ropes I can imagine an engineer wanting to know what is the strength of the material being used? What is the best ratio between strength needed and the amount of material being used?

    My parents also store their onions and garlic in the same way. I don't think I ever asked them why they did it that way. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (My computer just did NOT want to cooperate with Blogspot today!! )
    I enjoyed seeing your onion and garlic braids as well as the lovely grass rope you created! I sincerely wonder how long it would 'survive'? I also appreciate your statement "physics is just applied mathematics" I get a deep sense of fulfillment when what is learned can be shown in an applied manner! The braided onions hanging to dry & store caused me to think of how bananas tend to store better when they're hung.. I wonder what if any is the connection there? What an exciting week for activities and readings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Danielle and the group, for the great observations, connections, and discussion! I appreciate the connection of the bridge weaving video with Core Competencies, especially the cultural identity, and we certainly can ask many interesting questions about rope-making in math, physics, and engineering. An excellent connection to storing onions and garlic, too. I also agree that we should try to incorporate more senses to support learning!

    ReplyDelete